Tuesday's Patriotic Pops Concert and the City of Plano's fireworks extravaganza was the last event I had not yet experienced at FUMC Plano. A year ago this Sunday I was on vacation before my first Sunday, so our July 4th community event was my "last first."
As spectacular as the city's fireworks display was, I was amazed and celebrated still more:
- the inspiring and coordinated presentation by our music ministry under Robin's creative leadership;
- our staff's active presence to secure and support this huge effort;
- the number and the recognition of the women and men who did serve or are serving in all our nation's armed forces;
- the army of men, women and youth who volunteered, set up, parked, tore down, greeted, assisted, thanked, waved, smiled, and were the face of Christ to so many who came through our doors for music, water, bathrooms, and a warm smile;
- the collection of just over $2700 to be given to Heroes on the Water–an all-volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to helping injured warfighters recover mentally and physically through the therapeutic qualities of fishing from kayaks allowing mother nature do what she has done for hundreds of years: heal.
- the Spirit of thanksgiving, love and possibility for the future in our place.
THANK YOU for your participation in and support of this important event. We witnessed well to our community that this is indeed a community's church with its doors wide open for all we would invite to enter. Thanks be to God.
See you in the community place this Sunday,